Name: Elizabeth Karansky
Occupation: Funeral Director & Co-Founder of Farewelling
Location: New York
Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate!
5 questions for you...
1. What part of your job is most rewarding?
I'm honored to help people give their loved ones meaningful sendoffs.
2. What was the moment that made you realize you wanted to do what you do now?
When I was 21, I planned my dad's funeral and made it a true celebration of his life- it was personalized, unique, and fun! At the "after party" friends and family uncomfortably expressed how much they truly enjoyed the funeral; they asked that if something were to happen to them, if I would plan theirs. In my clouded mind, this seemed like the silver lining to my father's death- I found my calling.
3. What could you spend all day talking about?
I could talk all day about unique funeral rituals around the world. I've always loved to travel and have been to over 50 countries. Learning about how a society handles their deceased not only combines my two passions but also is an amazing way to deeply understand a culture.
4. What is your favorite characteristic of your best friend?
5. What is the first thing you notice about a new employee?
Their energy. (After spending a lot of time on the West Coast, this hyper rational New Yorker now understands the value of positive energy!)
What's in your desk?
Miu Miu Glasses, Chanel Lip Gloss, S'well Water Bottle