When it comes to styling our hair for a big meeting, presentation, or job interview, a classic blow-out is an obvious choice. A well-styled blow-out always looks chic and sophisticated. That said, a trip to the salon or to a blow-dry bar can be expensive (not to mention, time consuming!). And, as much as we love to pamper ourselves every now and again—it’s not practical to book an appointment every time we need our hair in tip-top shape.
A few months back, we set out to master the at-home blow-out. Since then, we’ve tried about 50 different products, watched nearly 100 YouTube tutorials, and have also had some serious Q&A sessions with our own trusted hair stylists. At long last, we’d landed on a tried-and-true formula for ladies with naturally course, wavy, and fizzy hair. Check out our play-by-play below!
(1) To start, wash hair with a smoothing shampoo and conditioner. Our current pick is Shu Uemura's "Shusu Sleek" Shampoo & Conditioner - it smells divine and instantly tames unruly hair before you even get out of the shower. (Tip: Be sure your water isn't too hot... as much as we love a steamy shower, super hot water can cause frizz and breakage!)
(2) When you get out of the shower, pat-dry your hair and brush it out. Use a detangling brush, like the Tangle Teaser, to gently comb out tangles and knots.
(3) Next up, prime your hair for styling. Our go-to is Oribe’s Run-Through Detangling Primer—it’s our secret tool to help us get out even the most rebellious tangles and it leaves hair smooth and ready for styling.
(4) If you have truly unmanageable hair (we’re guilty as charged!), you’ll want to work a styling balm into your hair as well. Our absolute fave is Bumble & Bumble’s Straight Blow Dry. Just spread a nickel-sized amount throughout your hair (use less/more, depending on how long your locks are). Not only does the balm help straighten—it also serves as a heat-protectant.
(5) Then, use alligator clips to section off your hair. (Tip: We recommend using metal clips, as plastic clips never fail to break on us!) Again, depending on how long your hair is, section it off into 4-6 different sections—staring from the top of your head and then working your way down.
(6) Before we blow dry each section, we spay our hair with Shu Uemura’s “Straightforward” Time-Saving Blow Dry Oil. Somehow, someway, this magic potion legit speeds up our blow dry time. (And, we’re all about time-saving tricks, especially in the AM!)
(7) Then, start to blow dry your strands, section by section. Our must-have dryer? The Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer. Believe us, this baby is life changing. It’s lightweight, easy to use, and blows a TON of air out—without leaving hair damaged or frizzy. Oh, and when you combine this dryer with Time Saving Blow Dry Oil, and your hair will dry in literally minutes.
(8) As we dry each section, we start by smoothing hair with a ceramic paddle brush. (Tip: A paddle brush with vents helps speed up dry time, too!)
(9) Then, we follow-up with a boar-bristle round brush to add volume and curl. (Tip: A boar-bristle brush is perfect for adding softness and shine.)
(10) To finish, add a bit of glossing serum to the ends and to tame any fly-aways. Lately, we’re loving Phyto’s “Phytolisse” Ultra-Glossing Finishing Serum.
(11) Et voilà! To seal in your look through the workday, spritz hair with a medium-hold hairspray. Oribe’s Superfine Hair Spray can do no wrong—it’s super brushable, never stiff.
(12) And if you want your glorious blow-out to last a couple of days (who wouldn’t!), have a dry shampoo on the ready for the next morning. Ouai’s Dry Shampoo gets rid of product buildup and leaves hair looking fresh and clean.